How to Detail and Restore Convertible Roofs Like A Pro
Detailing convertible roofs is actually not all that tough a task. I like to approach it in a similar way to my interior, but knowing that I need to apply an extra layer of protection given that it’s exposed to the elements.
I want to show you that not only is it relatively simple to detail a convertible roof, but it’s also possible to restore them from the brink the disaster.
This article will look at both detailing and restoring convertible roofs and offer you some insights as to what methods and products to use to get the best possible results.
Convertible Roof Cleaning and Maintenance
There are two general types of fabric utilised in convertible roofs:
Older vehicles will usually be equipped with vinyl tops that are relatively easy to clean. But in most modern and pre-modern cars, the convertible soft top is made of cloth or fabric.
"The best detailing eBook on the market right now!"
CAR DETAILING 101: TRAINING GUIDE
- Are you overwhelmed by the hundreds of different detailing “methods” that are online today?
- Do you struggle to find a fool-proof, repeatable detailing method that gets results every, single, time?
- Do you love the thought of being able to get your car in show-like condition?
If you answered yes to any of these, then Car Detailing 101 WILL help!
(50% OFF - ENDING SOON)
Vinyl or Cloth?
Cleaning a vinyl soft top is nothing more than rinsing with water, washing with car shampoo, and wiping it dry. The same procedure applies for tonneau covers and sport utility tops. The final step is to apply a light coat of vinyl conditioner like the Trinova Vinyl and Faux Leather Cleaner & Conditioner to restore and protect the surface of the vinyl.
Vinyl and Faux Leather Cleaner & Conditioner - Keep Seats, Jackets, Vinyl, Handbags, Sofas, Couches, Shoes, Boots & More Looking...
- Advanced Faux Leather Restoration - TriNova's Faux Leather Cleaner & Conditioner offers the best way to restore and protect all of your synthetic leather goods. Your faux leather can look and feel as luxurious as the real thing, so it deserves proper care and maintenance, which is easy to provide with this two-in-one product.
That’s it, job done.
For cloth convertibles, you’ll need to employ a different cleaning method. Here are the easy steps on how to clean and maintain the like-new appearance of convertible roofs.
- Park the vehicle in a shaded area, but it is still preferable to work outdoors in sunny and warm weather.
- Rinse the top with clean water. If you’ll be using pressurised water, be careful not to directly spray the stream of water into the seams of the top. It is also best to use lower pressure whenever possible.
- Use a fabric cleaner to deep-clean the cloth. I like the Meguiar’s G2016 Convertible Top Cleaner or the RaggTopp Fabric Cabriolet Cleaner. Both cleaners are strong enough to remove soils, stains, and mildew without using bleach or harsh chemicals.
Last update was in: August 16, 2019 5:12 pm
- Take care of cleaning, regenerating, and protecting your fabric convertible top with this all inclusive kit!
- This kit is new to Amazon but it comes highly recommended and it's a forum favourite.
- In one package you will receive everything you need to make sure your fabric convertible is ready for anything!
When using a dedicated convertible cleaner, I highly advise you to work in small areas. This will prevent the cleaner from drying up as you work on other sections of the roof.
Spray the cleaner directly on the convertible top and allow the product to dwell for at least 5 minutes. Grab a soft detailing brush to agitate the cleaner on the fabric. This will further loosen up dirt and debris that are trapped in the fibres of the top.
After cleaning each section, rinse off the cleaner with clean water immediately.
Remember to work in small sections. After cleaning the entire roof, give it a final rinse with a garden hose or pressure washer.
- This next step is all about the drying process. You can allow the convertible roof to dry under the sun without any consequences whatsoever. But it is better to dry the roof using a waffle weave microfibre drying cloth and a wet/dry vacuum cleaner.
But whatever you do, avoid using terry cloth to dry the fabric top unless you want to spend the better part of the day removing small pieces of lint. If you don’t have a thick microfibre drying towel, you can also use a synthetic chamois. Just make sure the drying cloth is clean and dry as a bone before you proceed.
If you’re using a microfibre towel or chamois, do not wipe the towel forcefully on the fabric. Instead, simply fold the towel in half and press it gently on the fabric. Allow the microfibre to absorb or soak up all the moisture on the fabric top. Wring the towel and repeat until the top is semi-dry or mildly damp.
This next procedure is optional. Use a wet/dry vacuum cleaner to suck out all the remaining moisture on the convertible roof. Focus your efforts on the seams and stitching of the fabric, which will dry slower compared to thinner areas of the fabric.
After this, allow the roof to air dry for another 10 or 15 minutes.
- The last step is to apply fabric protectant like the RaggTopp Fabric Protectant or the Meguiar’s Convertible & Cabriolet Weatherproofer. Both products are like wax on paint. It will seal and protect the surface against weathering, dirt, dust, and bird poo while offering excellent protection against UV damage.
Last update was in: August 16, 2019 5:12 pm
- Meguiars Convertible & Cabriolet Weatherproofer When applied to a convertible roof, Meguiar's Convertible & Cabriolet Weatherproofer coats the surface creating a long-lasting barrier against the damaging effects of tree sap, bird droppings and water borne contaminants. Applied as an aerosol, the coating repels moisture and stains while also preventing colour fading which can be caused by prolonged UV exposure and offers comprehensive protection against the elements.
Fabric protectants will usually come in aerosol spray cans. Simply spray the protectant on the fabric roof and allow to air dry.
How to Restore Convertible Roofs and Plastic Rear Windows
This section is perfect for dirty, mouldy, and neglected convertible vehicles. But as I previously mentioned at the beginning of this article, restoring the surface will take nothing more than using the right cleaning products, tons of patience, and a modicum of common sense.
Sounds simple enough, right?
- Rinse the convertible roof with clean water. This will help remove larger colonies of mould and mildew from the surface prior to deep cleaning.
- Use the spray cleaner and allow the solution to dwell in the fabric. Don’t be shy to spray more of the cleaner on heavily soiled areas.For this step, you can use the same products mentioned above such as the Trinova and RaggTopp convertible cleaner. You can also use all-purpose cleaner diluted in clean water.Whichever you choose, the trick is to allow the cleaner to dwell on the fabric for at least 5 to 10 minutes.
- Next, grab a soft detailing brush. Use the brush to agitate the fabric, which will help loosen up all the nasty dirt and grime. Spray more of the cleaning solution when necessary.
- If you see a lot of mould and mildew stains on the seams and stitching, a soft brush won’t cut it. For this step, it is better to use a hard or medium cleaning brush. Mildly scrub the seams to remove mould and mildew.Do not apply excessive force when using a hard brush to clean the convertible roof! You might end up ripping, tearing, or damaging the fabric! Keep it mild and gentle. Allow the cleaner to do the hard work.
- Rinse the convertible roof with clean water. Make certain to remove all traces of the fabric cleaner on the roof.
- Use a microfiber towel or synthetic chamois to remove excess water from the fabric. Fold the towel in half and press gently over the convertible roof. Do not wipe the towel on the top, and remember NOT to use terry cloth for this procedure.
- [Optional] Use a wet/dry vacuum cleaner to suck out all the remaining moisture on the convertible top.
- While allowing the convertible roof to air dry, it is time to focus your attention on the plastic rear window. If the window is in relatively good shape (but is marred by fog, cloudiness, and/or dirt), you can clean and restore the clarity of the window using Meguiar’s PlastX.
This product is formulated to eliminate cloudiness and oxidation on clear plastic surfaces including windows and headlights. It contains Meguiar’s Diminishing Abrasive Technology to effortlessly cut through stains, contamination, oxidation, and chemical degradation. Think of it as a polish for clear plastic windows. This product is non-toxic, contains no solvents, and will leave behind a layer of protection against harmful weather and UV rays.
Pour a small amount of Meguiar’s PlastX on a small applicator pad or microfiber towel and rub the product gently on the plastic window using a left-to-right or up-down motion. Avoid using small circular patterns in cleaning the plastic rear window to prevent visible scratching and marring.
- **COMES WITH 1x FREE MICROFIBRE POLISHING CLOTH PLUS 1x FREE MICROFIBRE APPLICATOR PAD**
- Cleans and Restores Clear Plastic
- Restores Cloudy Oxidized Headlight Covers
- Eliminates Cloudiness and Oxidation
- Safe Will Not Harm Surrounding Paint Or Clear Coat
Now, give the window a final wipe with a separate microfiber towel and you’re done! Don’t forget to repeat the same process for the inside of the plastic window to reveal a clear and like-new surface!
However, this product is not a miracle cleaner for severely deteriorated or yellowed windows. In some cases, you will need to consult a professional to replace the rear window.
- The final step in restoring the beauty of convertible roofs is to spray fabric protectant. I like the Gtechniq Smart Fabric Coat for this procedure. This product is formulated with Nanoparticles to coat the individual fibres in the fabric to repel water, moisture, dirt, and UV rays. It will also kill bacteria and bad smells.
Simply spray the fabric protectant and allow to air dry. Make sure to cover all areas of the soft top for complete all-weather protection against wear and tear.
Here’s an important tip: make certain the convertible roof is completely dry to the touch before spraying fabric protectant. If the fabric is still damp, allow it to air dry for another 30 minutes before treating the fabric with protectant. In cooler temperatures, you can leave it overnight to fully dry and then apply your coating at the end of the next day.back to menu ↑
In order to maintain the clean appearance of convertible roofs, make sure to clean the soft top each time you wash the vehicle. It’s definitely one of those things that if you tackle often enough, you won’t need to complete a major restore.
I can’t stress enough how important a good coating is. Convertible roofs are far less durable than a car’s paint, so getting a decent coating will ensure that they last a lot longer than without.